This post is a part of our series spotlighting Tender Greens’ Whole Animal Program. To learn about Tender Greens Whole Animal Program, read the introductory blog post here.
Tender Greens chefs have compiled several recipes using parts of a whole lamb. Below are two recipes from our Irvine location’s Chef Craig Mattox using lamb fore and hind legs. Check back for more lamb recipes from chefs at our other locations.
Recipe: Roasted Leg of Lamb, Sugar Snap Peas, Soft Polenta, Kale, Mint Vinaigrette
Cut of Meat: Hind Legs
Chef: Craig Mattox
- 2 legs of lamb, deboned and scored
- 1 cup sliced garlic
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1/3 cup Thyme, picked and chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Heavily season the lamb, then add the garlic, shallots and thyme.
- Roll it up and tie it.
- Roast at 350 convection to internal temp of 115. Rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
Mint Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1 cup of mint leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup golden balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- 1.5 cups olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 1/2 gallon water
- salt, pepper, chile flake
- 1 quart polenta
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1 cup parmesan
Snap peas were just blanched, tossed in crouton oil, then picked up on the plancha.
Recipe: Lamb Tagine
Cut of Meat: Lamb fore legs
Chef: Craig Mattox
- 2 Lamb fore legs
- All the rest of the bones from the carcass
- 2 cups harissa
- 1 cup crouton oil
- 1 pound (or 4 sticks) butter
- 6 sliced onions
- 1 bug pinch of saffron
- 1 cup chopped garlic
- ½ cup chopped ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 1 gallon tomato puree
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Chopped cilantro and scallions
- Marinate the lamb and the bones in the harissa and the crouton oil. Refrigerate overnight.
- Lightly roast bones and legs, then place in braising pan.
- Sautee onions, garlic and ginger.
- Add dry spices, cook until aroma of saffron is strong.
- Add chicken stock and Tomato puree.
- Add golden Raisins.
- Pour over lamb, cover in foil, braise for 2 hours at 275 degrees.
- Uncover, and braise an additional 1 hour.
- Remove bones and legs, shred meat.
- Skim fat off the braising liquid, then reduce to sauce consistency, season.
- Return shredded lamb to sauce. Serve over polenta with toasted almonds, cilantro and scallion garnish.